AmeriCorps – VISTA – Volunteer Services Development
Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County
Serve, learn, lead and explore in the Park City! Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County has been hosting AmeriCorps members since 1994. Our AmeriCorps members play an integral role in providing leadership on our project sites, engaging volunteers to become champions for our mission, and creating new tools and systems to build capacity. Our members are the ambassadors of Habitat CFC, interacting with over 8,000 volunteers, partner families and community stakeholders.
Fairfield County has the distinction of having the largest income gap of any county in the US. The chasm between the “haves” and the “have nots” accents the need for decent, affordable housing in the area.
During a year of service with Habitat CFC, AmeriCorps members gain insight to the inner workings of a non-profit organization and gain hands-on experience in leadership, public speaking and community development. Benefits beyond the AmeriCorps living allowance and education award include affiliate sponsored housing and, for construction leads, hand tool and gear reimbursement. In your off hours, explore the beautiful parks and beaches that Bridgeport has to offer, or take a short train ride into New York City. Join our Habitat family and form lasting relationships, while creating affordable housing solutions with hard-working families in Fairfield County Connecticut County. For more information about Habitat for Humanity Coastal Fairfield County, please visit our website.
Volunteer Services Development
As a Volunteer Services Development VISTA, you will continue the work of the current VISTA member, while seeking new and exciting ways to bring the project forward, in addition to finalizing and solidifying these various initiatives so that we can move forward with an increased capacity to serve more families. The current VISTA member has been working to form volunteer groups as steering committees for all of our affinity groups: Veterans Build, Women Build, and Youth United. The current VISTA member has also been working on developing a long-term social media strategy to recruit more volunteers to join the mission, and in particular, to join and lead our affinity groups. Ultimately, we would like to see these committees run entirely by volunteer leadership, with mentorship of staff to help guide the strategy and partnership needed to meet the affiliate’s goals. We are finding that in order to meet this goal, we not only need more dedicated volunteers, but we need volunteers willing to lead and take ownership of each committee’s work. Therefore, you will focus on identifying specific needs within each of our affinity groups and recruit committee members to fill these voids, create position descriptions to help with recruitment and to communicate expectations, and develop the leadership to be more sustainable. In addition, you will assist the affiliate to build upon the current social media strategies, as well as identify candidates (staff, volunteers) who can sustain these strategies long after you complete service.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver’s license
• Personal vehicle
• Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
• Project management experience
BENEFITS OF SERVICE
• For more information about these benefits (excluding MAP), please visit the VISTA Campus.
• AmeriCorps VISTA living allowance of $16,716 (paid over the 1 year of full-time service) – determined by geographic area
• Segal Education Award of $5,815 (lifetime maximum of 2) OR end-of-service cash stipend of $1,500 – both are dependent on successful completion of service
• Healthcare Allowance – a reimbursement program that covers some out-of-pocket, non-premium costs, up to $7,150, associated with healthcare. Please note: this is not a healthcare insurance plan; if you do not have healthcare coverage, you have 60 days from your service start date to sign-up for healthcare coverage through the Marketplace.
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• Relocation Travel Allowance up to $1,000 & Settling In Allowance of $550 (if eligible)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• 10 personal and 10 sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) Status – upon successfully completing service, you will receive one year of NCE for employment in the federal government. Please note: this does not guarantee you a federal job.
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
At the end of the service year, you will have helped us create a long-term social media strategy to recruit more volunteers to join the mission, and in particular, to join and lead our affinity groups. In addition, you will have enhanced the training for and sustainability of our steering committees for our Veterans Build, Women Build, and Youth United affinity groups. By finalizing and solidifying these initiatives, you will increase capacity at our affiliate, and as a result, allow us to serve more families.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume (tell us about your experience) with cover letter (express why you want to serve) and a writing sample to Eileen Bakos at email@example.com.