AmeriCorps – VISTA – Resource Development
Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County
Serve, learn, lead and explore in the Park City! Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County has been hosting AmeriCorps members since 1994. Our AmeriCorps members play an integral role in providing leadership on our project sites, engaging volunteers to become champions for our mission, and creating new tools and systems to build capacity. Our members are the ambassadors of Habitat CFC, interacting with over 8,000 volunteers, partner families and community stakeholders.
Fairfield County has the distinction of having the largest income gap of any county in the US. The chasm between the “haves” and the “have nots” accents the need for decent, affordable housing in the area.
During a year of service with Habitat CFC, AmeriCorps members gain insight to the inner workings of a non-profit organization and gain hands-on experience in leadership, public speaking and community development. Benefits beyond the AmeriCorps living allowance and education award include affiliate sponsored housing and, for construction leads, hand tool and gear reimbursement. In your off hours, explore the beautiful parks and beaches that Bridgeport has to offer, or take a short train ride into New York City. Join our Habitat family and form lasting relationships, while creating affordable housing solutions with hard-working families in Fairfield County Connecticut County. For more information about Habitat for Humanity Coastal Fairfield County, please visit our website.
As a Resource Development VISTA, you will develop, document and implement a plan for donor engagement, tracking, and recognition in order to enhance the overall donor experience and increase donor buy-in to Habitat’s mission, ultimately allowing us to serve more families. All of our Corporate and Faith-based volunteer groups are funded by their companies/congregations to come out for build days. You will focus on turning these individuals into smaller, monthly donors to broaden our base of financial support. In addition, you will develop, document and implement a community outreach plan that includes a development approach to partnerships that will result in an increase in financial and in-kind donations.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver’s license
• Personal vehicle
• Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Marketing experience
BENEFITS OF SERVICE
• For more information about these benefits (excluding MAP), please visit the VISTA Campus.
• AmeriCorps VISTA living allowance of $16,716 (paid over the 1 year of full-time service) – determined by geographic area
• Segal Education Award of $5,815 (lifetime maximum of 2) OR end-of-service cash stipend of $1,500 – both are dependent on successful completion of service
• Healthcare Allowance – a reimbursement program that covers some out-of-pocket, non-premium costs, up to $7,150, associated with healthcare. Please note: this is not a healthcare insurance plan; if you do not have healthcare coverage, you have 60 days from your service start date to sign-up for healthcare coverage through the Marketplace.
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• Relocation Travel Allowance up to $1,000 & Settling In Allowance of $550 (if eligible)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• 10 personal and 10 sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) Status – upon successfully completing service, you will receive one year of NCE for employment in the federal government. Please note: this does not guarantee you a federal job.
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
At the end of the service year, you will have helped us raise $35,000. As a result of the financial and in-kind donations that you will have helped generate, our affiliate will be able to increase out building capacity from 12 to 14 homes per year, and as a result, serve more families.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume (tell us about your experience) with cover letter (express why you want to serve) and a writing sample to Eileen Bakos at email@example.com.