AmeriCorps – National – Construction Crew Leader
Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County
Serve, learn, lead and explore in the Park City! Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County has been hosting AmeriCorps members since 1994. Our AmeriCorps members play an integral role in providing leadership on our project sites, engaging volunteers to become champions for our mission, and creating new tools and systems to build capacity. Our members are the ambassadors of Habitat CFC, interacting with over 8,000 volunteers, partner families and community stakeholders.
Fairfield County has the distinction of having the largest income gap of any county in the US. The chasm between the “haves” and the “have nots” accents the need for decent, affordable housing in the area.
During a year of service with Habitat CFC, AmeriCorps members gain insight to the inner workings of a non-profit organization and gain hands-on experience in leadership, public speaking and community development. Benefits beyond the AmeriCorps living allowance and education award include affiliate sponsored housing and, for construction leads, hand tool and gear reimbursement. In your off hours, explore the beautiful parks and beaches that Bridgeport has to offer, or take a short train ride into New York City. Join our Habitat family and form lasting relationships, while creating affordable housing solutions with hard-working families in Fairfield County Connecticut County. For more information about Habitat for Humanity Coastal Fairfield County, please visit our website.
Construction Crew Leader
As a Construction Crew Leader, you are integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area. Your primary responsibility will be to assist with hands on construction tasks including, but not limited to, site prep, framing, roofing, finish carpentry, landscaping and clean up. Additionally, you will lead small groups of volunteers, providing them with on-site orientations and safety talks and ensuring that they are well-employed while on work sites. On occasion, you may participate in larger community projects or affiliate events.
Please Note: while construction experience is helpful, it is not required.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver’s license
• Personal vehicle
• Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
• Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two-stories
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
• Experience with power tools
• Ability (or willingness to learn) to drive large pick-up trucks
• Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience
BENEFITS OF SERVICE
• AmeriCorps National living allowance of $12,630 (paid over the full 46.5 weeks of full-time service)
• Segal Education Award of $5,815 (upon successful completion of service) – lifetime maximum of 2
• Affordable Care Act compliant health care plan (Habitat pays the monthly premiums)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• 10 personal/sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
At the end of the service year, you will have helped us complete 12-14 new builds and 3 rehabs, and as a result, serve 15-17 families. In addition, you will have recruited and/or managed 500 volunteers in the building, rehabilitation, or repair of homes, as well as trained at least one volunteer to be a skilled volunteer group leader in our rehab projects.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume (tell us about your experience) with cover letter (express why you want to serve) to Eileen Bakos at firstname.lastname@example.org.