Summary of the AmeriCorps Construction Crew Leader Position: The individual serving in this role will be part of the AmeriCorps team that will give the necessary boost to significantly increase the number of families our affiliate is able to serve through new construction and rehab projects. With the assistance of the AmeriCorps members serving in this role, we anticipate completing 14 new builds and 7 rehabs during the service term, with a total of 21 families served. A secondary goal of this position is to have at least 5 volunteers trained to be skilled volunteer group leaders in Rehab. We view the construction crew leaders as integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area. This is an AmeriCorps National Direct position. For more information about the AmeriCorps Program, please go to http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
Responsibilities of the position
- Assist with hands on construction tasks including, but not limited to, demolition, site prep, framing, insulation, drywall, flooring, roofing, finish carpentry and landscaping. Projects may include new and gut rehab homes, as well as weatherization projects.
- Lead small groups of volunteers, ensuring that they are well-employed while on the work sites.
- Use volunteer management techniques to facilitate positive experiences for volunteers and partner families working on site.
- Collaborate with construction staff to identify skilled/enthusiastic volunteers and cultivate their involvement in Habitat’s work (i.e. encourage them to consider being trained as regular site leaders and/or returning volunteers).
- Maintain site safety through modeling of safety practices and guidelines, volunteer education, and site monitoring. Attend safety trainings with our construction staff.
- Provide on-site orientations and safety talks to groups of volunteers and family partners.
- Help with materials management on site and at the affiliate warehouse and storage trailers. Pick up and organize materials needed for projects.
- Set up and cleanup project sites.
- Maintain site logs for each project completed in order for supervisor to assess progress and next steps.
- Participate in regular planning and debriefing meetings as needed.
- On occasion, member may participate in larger community projects such as lot clean ups, community gardens, etc.
- Attend and participate in select affiliate events; responsibilities may include set up, cleanup, and engaging with attendees and informing them about the AmeriCorps program, our affiliate’s mission and NR programming, and how to become a volunteer and/or family partner.
Education/Experience/Knowledge/Skills required for this position
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements
- Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people
- Experience working as a member of a team
- Ability to drive large pick-up trucks and trailer preferred (or willingness to learn)
- Previous experience as a construction AmeriCorps member or with a residential homebuilder preferred
- Experience with power tools preferred
- Experience working with volunteers or teaching/group facilitation experience desirable
- Basic experience with Microsoft Word/Excel preferred
- Knowledge of community development practices preferred
- A second language is highly desirable, with preferred language being Spanish
Physical requirements for this position
- Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two-stories
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
Location: Warehouse is at 1542 Barnum Avenue, Bridgeport, CT 06610 – Job Sites are throughout Bridgeport and Stratford
Hours: Tuesday – Saturday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Compensation: AmeriCorps are volunteers who are paid a small living stipend and are eligible to receive an education award at the end of their year of service.
How to Apply: Please send resume with cover letter to Eileen Bakos at firstname.lastname@example.org