Looking for a more meaningful way to spend your school vacation?
Collegiate Challenge is a year-round alternative break program offering groups of five or more participants a unique opportunity to give back in a substantial way while having fun building on the construction site and experiencing a new city. It’s not just for Spring Break and it’s not just for college students.
Fairfield County, Connecticut is comprised of beautiful cities and towns with a housing market and cost of living among the highest in the nation. Unfortunately, this has earned the County the distinction of having the largest income gap between the wealthy and the not so wealthy of any county in the US. These facts point to the critical need for decent, affordable housing for hard-working local families. Habitat for Humanity has built over 210 houses in its 33 years and currently has 12 homes under construction, so there is always a variety of work to match the interests and skills of all. Housing is provided for participants at either a local community center or church. Bridgeport is a waterfront community that was formerly a leader of industry. Known as the Park City, Bridgeport is in the midst of an historic transformation and revitalization with beautiful beaches and parks, new stores and restaurants, the Beardsley Zoo, Barnum Museum and the Discovery Adventure Park. The city is a short, one-hour train ride to NYC.
Here’s how you can participate:
- Gather a group of 5 to 15 participants.
- Everyone must be either:
- 18 years of age or older, with an adult 21 or over accompanying them.
- 16 or over with a ratio of 1 adult to every 4 minors.
- $200/person donation to Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County, CT.
- Responsible for own travel and transportation to Habitat for Humanity CFC and the job sites.
Here’s what you can expect
- Tuesday thru Friday or Saturday Volunteer Schedule including 1 day in the ReStore and up to 4 days in Construction.
- Habitat provides all the tools, equipment, and training needed for your volunteer days – NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!
- Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County will provide accommodations for your team.
- Free day on Monday to explore Bridgeport or visit nearby New York City.
- Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County does not provide meals but will host one family supper for your team.
Interested in organizing an Alternative Break? Please contact Eileen Bakos at email@example.com.