HABITAT FOR HUMANITY OF COASTAL FAIRFIELD COUNTY
Position: Communications Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Development and Communications
Habitat for Humanity of Coastal Fairfield County (Habitat CFC) builds communities and improves lives by eliminating substandard housing and creating homeownership possibilities for families of low-income. Since 1985 Habitat CFC has broken ground on over 200 homes and has helped over 1,000 family members in Fairfield County. While we have completed projects and are working throughout Coastal Fairfield County, the largest portion of our current building effort is happening in Bridgeport. We are a developer with a commitment to “green” construction, a family service agency, non-profit financial institution, community advocate and provider of over 8,000 volunteer opportunities each year. Our ReStore, located in Stratford, accepts donations of furniture, appliances and building materials, and then resells them. The proceeds from the ReStore help us build more affordable housing in Coastal Fairfield County.
Summary of the Position:
The Communications Coordinator plays an important role in the Development Department working on communications, events and public relations for Habitat CFC and the organization’s ReStore.
Under the direction of the Director of Development and Communications, write content and use InDesign to create artwork for monthly e-newsletters, family bios, annual report, brochures, invitations, signage, Constant Contact e-blasts and other collateral materials for Habitat CFC and the ReStore. Coordinate the production of these communications. Maintain a communications calendar of mailings, social media posts, etc.
Manage Habitat CFC and ReStore websites including updating design and written content through WordPress. Create InDesign e-banners, ads and other content. Troubleshoot/solve technology issues related to the websites.
Execute time sensitive daily posts on social media sites of both Habitat CFC and ReStore. Take photographs/video of volunteer build days, homeowner dedications and other events to post on social media and websites. Take photos of merchandise at ReStore to post on social media.
Under the direction of the Director of Development and Communications, create timely media alerts and press releases and handle distribution. Maintain media contact list. Assist with other public relations projects as needed.
Coordinate events including the annual benefit, golf tournament and 5K run. Research venues, book entertainment, manage A/V, work with caterer and other vendors. Manage registration process (online and mail), guest lists and ticketing. Coordinate onsite logistics of events including set up/break down, registration, volunteer coordination, A/V and technology requirements. Assist with the creation of promotional materials related to events. As part of the Development Team, work alongside team on other events projects.
A portion of the Communications Coordinator’s time will be spent working with the ReStore Manager and the Director of Development and Communications developing the ReStore’s marketing strategy with the goal of increasing ReStore retail sales and donations and further aligning and strengthening the two arms of the organization.
As part of the Development Team, assist with grant writing, researching, and filling out online grant applications and progress reports, as needed.
Take on additional projects as assigned by the Director of Development and Communications.
- BA/BS and related work experience
- Commitment to Habitat for Humanity’s mission and programs with knowledge of affordable housing issues.
- Strong team player. Excels in a team environment.
- Excellent writing and creative graphic design skills
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office, Adobe CS6 (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), Publisher, Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.), Constant Contact and WordPress.
- The candidate should be detail-orientated and be able to multi-task and perform well under deadline.
- This position will be based in our administrative office in Bridgeport; however, the Communications Coordinator will spend some time each week at the ReStore located in Stratford approximately 1.4 miles away. A car is required to be able to travel between the locations as needed.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends coordinating events.
- Ability to occasionally be on one’s feet for extended periods of time and lift at least 50 lbs.
- Willingness to help with the transportation and moving of items to and from events.
How to Apply:
Please send your resume with a thoughtful email explaining your experience and interest in working for Habitat CFC to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Habitat CFC is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.