|Affiliate/Host Site Name: HFH Coastal Fairfield County||Host Site Manager (HSM) Name: Eileen Bakos|
|Program: AmeriCorps VISTA
Member Role: Construction Systems Development
|Will members engage in any of these programs?
Disaster Recovery Neighborhood Revitalization
|Service Week (days/times): Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM with occasional evenings/Saturdays/Sundays||Direct Supervisor Name: Eileen Bakos|
The overall goal of this position is to develop, document and implement a plan to improve our affiliate’s construction operations and closing schedule (working with Family Services) to include scheduling the entire process from land acquisition through the closing process, tracking paperwork, scheduling orders for materials, attaining permits and inspections, where and when to obtain as-builts, which grants will affect move-in dates, scheduling attorneys.
Concerted efforts are needed at our affiliate to enhance our construction and closing processes to make our service delivery system more user friendly. An AmeriCorps VISTA Construction Systems Member would support our organizational plan by assisting us in developing a comprehensive process for our construction system and closings. The VISTA will address key components needed to increase our construction capacity efficiently and safely as well as actually moving families into their new homes efficiently. With the appropriate processes in place, we would expect the effectiveness and efficiency of our construction programs and closing process to be enhanced, which would lead to increased productivity in meeting the needs of those we serve.
|Objective One (First Quarter)
EXPLORATION – Explore the construction and closing processes and systems that are currently in place at the site and identify best practices from other programs. Identify what additional needs the project requires. Document research and communicate findings to the project sponsor and gain further direction to move forward with developing enhanced construction and family services operations.
|Objective Two (Second Quarter)
DEVELOPMENT – Develop and document an enhanced construction operations plan that will address the needs of the host site. The plan should address construction prep, planning, permitting, scheduling, ordering of materials, work site safety, documentation needed for a Certificate of Occupancy and closings, as well as other areas of need discovered during the exploration phase.
|Objective Three (Third Quarter)
IMPLEMENTATION AND REVIEW – Implement the new construction operations and closing program. Assist the site in testing and evaluating the various parts of the program developed and make revisions to the program as needed in order to ensure success.
* Note that the activities listed here may include visits to the construction site for the purposes of observation, interviews of staff and volunteers, and implementation of construction systems and processes. While VISTAs cannot regulary build on the construciton site, the VISTA member may have the opportunity to engage in active building no more than one time per month to help inform construction system development projects.
|Objective Four (Fourth Quarter)
SUSTAINABILITY – Ensure that the construction operations program and closing process is sustainable and will continue at the host site after the completion of the VISTA term by developing manuals and training staff/volunteers on the new program.
|Required Meetings, Trainings and Events: Minimum expectations are outlined below, with the understanding that further trainings may be required as determined by HFHI, CNCS or the Host Site.
|Education/Experience/Knowledge/Skills required for this position
· Valid Driver’s License and ability to meet host site’s insurance requirements.
· Microsoft Office Suite (especially Word/Excel)
· Knowledge of, and willingness to promote, the mission and activities of Habitat for Humanity and AmeriCorps
· Strong research skills
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to work with a diverse group of people
· Detail oriented and highly organized
· Experience working as a member of a team
· Project management experience preferred
· A second language is highly desirable, with preferred languages being Spanish.
|Physical requirements for this position
· Ability to sit at a desk and computer for extended periods of time
· About 20% of this position requires outreach in the community, including visiting buildings and homes that may have stairs, as well as serving on project sites that might have uneven terrain.
|Service Site Environment: Member will serve in an open-space office and will share space with other staff and/or AmeriCorps members. Each member will have a desk, computer (with email and internet access), and a phone for service-related tasks. Shared resources include a printer, copy machine, fax machine as well as office supplies.|